Online Catalog: The Basic Search Screen
The home page of the online catalog is also called the Basic Search screen. When you go to http://catalog.cwmars.org , this is the screen you will see:
There are three sections to the page. The upper part of the page is the top navigation. The center part contains the search features. The bottom part of the page is the footer navigation and contains links to other sites and to Help.
The Top Navigation
These are the parts of the top navigation and search bar (from left to right):
1. The C/W MARS logo. If you click on this logo from any page in the online catalog, you will be brought back to this home page.
2. The Log into My Account button. Clicking on this button will take you to the log in page.
3. See New Titles at your library. Clicking on this link will take you to a page where you can choose your library from a list. Clicking on the library's name will show you all the latest titles acquired at the library.
4. Kids Catalog. Clicking on the Kids Catalog link will take you to the home page of the Kids Catalog.
5. More Search Options. Clicking on More Search Options will take you to the Advanced Search page.
6. Browse the Catalog: Clicking on Browse the Catalog will let you view library holdings as long lists.
The Search Features
The search features consist of
1. the search box where you enter the words you are looking for in the catalog (title, author, subject, keyword).
Note: the little microphone icon at the end of the search box indicates that the web browser will respond to your voice. Not all web browsers have this feature and so you may see the entire search box as blank.
2. the search filters. You can filter your search for different fomats (large print book or DVD, for example). You can filter your search for Keyword, Title and Author. You can choose whether you want to search all the libraries in the consortium or just your own.
Note: each of the boxes has a little down-pointing arrow at the right hand side. This indicates that these are dropdown boxes. Until you click on the search filter, your additional filter choices are hidden.
3. The Search button. When you click the Search button, your search will be carried out.
4. The All Libraries button: You may start your search limited to your local library instead of All C/W MARS Libraries. If, after doing your local search, you want to expand your search to include all member libraries of C/W MARS, click on the All Libraries button.
The Footer Navigation
The footer navigation contains links to other web sites and to Help.
1. OverDrive Digital Catalog. Clicking on this link takes you to the Overdrive digital catalog.
2. Kids Digital Books Catalog: This link takes you to the Overdrive Kids Reading Room.
3. Commonwealth Catalog. This link takes you to the page that allows you to enter your library card and choose your pick-up library for requests that you make for materials outside the consortium.
4. C/W MARS Home. This link takes you to the home page of the C/W MARS web site.
6. Commonwealth eBook Collections: This link takes you to the ebook collections sponsored by the Massachusetts Library System.
7. Help. The Help link brings you to the page that lists all the currently available documentation for our online catalog.